Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Para Siempre Dios esté con Vos

Hello, everyone!! I hope you're thinking about me because I'm thinking about y'all. 

So this week I got an eye infection but I think it's good now because I'm able to open my eye again. Our district go to welcome and take new elders to their casas, which was really cool making friends and talking with people. And also, every day we have like an hour and a half of gym time, to play basketball or volleyball or work out or whatever. And for the past four weeks, after gym time I've been taking a shower in the room across the hall from ours, because Elder Viel showers in ours. We're pretty good friends with them, and our schedules just line up so that they're in class while we get back from gym so it was perfect. And they didn't know until this week they came back early from one of their classes and caught me showering. I just hear pounding on the door "Elder Merrell I know you're in there!!" Elder Viel said he heard me scream from our room. It was definitely worth it. Too bad I got caught though. 

I can't wait until I'm teaching real people the gospel, and I'm sure my experiences will be much better and interesting to read, but I've been thinking lately on being led by faith, and I was thinking of extending an analogy between life and board games. Sometimes we're really confused and have no idea what to do. At the beginning we are clue-less as to how it will unfold, or even feel sorry for ourselves. I have found myself asking questions like "What words can I scrabble around out of these letters?" "Which countries will I risk gaining possession of?" or "Will I actually settle Catan?" As a matter of fact, life is so much like a board game that they even named a board game after it, it's true you can look it up. Anyways, the point is that sometimes we doubt if what we're doing is what we're supposed to be doing or if everything will turn out okay. 

If we look in 1 Nephi chapter 4 in the Book of Mormon, there's a prophet named Nephi who was commanded by his father to go back with his brothers to Jerusalem, the city that they lived before they fled into the wilderness. It's this really long journey, and they had to go back to retrieve the records of their people from a man named Laban. First, one of his brothers tried talking to Laban and get the plates. Laban then tried to kill him. Next, they got all of the gold and silver from their old house and went to try and trade. Laban stole these things and tried to kill them again. They were about to go back into the wilderness empty handed. However, Nephi wasn't going to stop trying. In 1 Nephi chapter 4 verses 6 and 7, we read "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless, I went forth..." Sometimes we're bombarded with options and choices to make and don't know what to do, even after we try a few times and it seems impossible.  We can take comfort in praying to Heavenly Father and being led by the Spirit in whatever we're doing. As we PROCEED WITH TRUST, God will bless us with the Spirit to feel comfort and assurance as we make the correct decisions. I know that God answers prayers and he wants us to choose the right.





No comments:

Post a Comment