Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Salgo el miercoles


I am super excited to leave tomorrow to Iowa and actually start teaching people how they can have happier lives and turn to Christ and have eternal families. Part of my district left already yesterday to go to Chile Osorno. My companion is a carpenter by trade and was experiencing withdrawals, so he decided he wood carve roses out of soap for all of the hermanas in our district. Also to open for a devotional on Sunday, I accompanied on piano Hermana Olson singing "Abide With Me; Tis Eventide", and it was such a beautiful arrangement. Definitely a key part of the meeting, and started it off on a good note. 

In one of the devotionals, I heard this quote: "Only those who resist temptation truly know the power of it". I thought that was weird. I had been thinking that those who give in to temptation or who are caught in addiction only really know the power of it. One of the Elders in my district helped me understand by illustrating the point in an analogy: you can't feel the force of the wind until you walk against it. My mind was blown to say the least, and it gave me comfort to know that I don't need to have experienced a drug addiction to help someone out with that problem. Maybe I don't truly understand what they're going through, or how hard it is to turn back against the wind once you're that far down the path, but luckily I don't have to. There is someone that knows exactly what they're going through. He is our brother and Savior Jesus Christ. Let me leave you with the scripture in the Book of Mormon. Alma chapter 7, verses 11-12: "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."


No comments:

Post a Comment