Monday, March 9, 2015

Just Starting to Warm up

I love telling people I'm from Houston Texas, everyone either tells me about that one layover flight they had there that one time, or they relay some skewed perception of Texas. One person solemnly stated "Man, I want to move there, because here when I wear my six-shooter here out in public people look at me funny"... Well, the snow is starting to melt which is fantastic, I no longer feel like I'm in a Christmas movie every day. But this week, there was a problem with black ice. For all of you Houstonians, black ice is a very dangerous condition where super slippery ice looks like water, or blends in with the asphalt or concrete. Needless to say, I was on the lookout telling my missionary companion to watch out for black ice...which most of the time ended up being just mud. #bettersafethansorry

I love the people here in Iowa! I've had some awesome spiritual experiences already, and it's my first week. I can already tell a stark difference in the families who read their scriptures and pray every day together, and the families that don't. Every time we visit them, we ask, but we can predict the answer. You can totally feel the spirit there, and they're happier, it's no lie. 

Also, in the first lesson of this man, we knocked on his door and he reluctantly let us in. After the lesson we invited him to give the closing prayer, and this fifty-nine year humble railroad worker knelt down and gave one of the most beautiful, heart-felt prayers I have ever heard. After, he apologized for his lack of eloquent wording, and we rebuked him, trying to make him believe how amazing it was. 
My last experience I'm going to share is during a lesson with a family, their 8-year-old climbed up on the couch next to me and asked me about the Book of Mormon, and I explained it to him, showing him some pictures. I told him the stories behind the pictures but he said to just start reading them from the scriptures. I told him the book uses big words, so he might not be able to understand, but he wanted me to anyway. I started reading from the beginning in 1 Nephi, chapter one. This super hyper kid say quietly while I read until around verse 8 and said "I love this book". It was amazing that he could recognize the spirit he felt, even though he probably didn't understand a lot of the words, and he knew the Book of Mormon is the word of God just like the Bible. 

I love this gospel, and I've already seen how it can change lives for the better. I love you guys!! #seeyain2years

Also, I have my specific address, where I'll be staying for the next two and a half months at least, probably longer. 

Elder Jace Arthur Merrell
c/o David Westwater
1606 W Lincoln Way
Marshalltown, IA 50158

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome. Your spirit is reflecting that light to others.

    ReplyDelete